Friday, September 12, 2008

To IUD or Not to IUD - That is the Question

I went for my 6 week check the other day. I can't believe that Sunshine is already 7 weeks old, time really flies when you're not sleeping! So my gynie brought up the topic of contraception. I don't want another baby (and most certainly not just yet!!) and I don't want anything with hormones. That leaves condoms or the copper IUD (also known as the ParaGard). I'm keen on the copper IUD, as it seems like a dream choice. Once it's inserted you don't have to think about it for 5 years. And it's effective immediately with a very low failure rate. It's also totally reversible, so when (and if) you're ready for more children you just take it out and let nature go to work. This all sounds great in theory. I'm seriously considering it and reading up about all the pros and cons on the Internet. If anyone out there can share their experiences, I'd be grateful for the info. {Pic curteousy of MayoClinic.}

11 thoughts for today:

heycarey said...

I just got the copper IUD this week. So far so good! It hurts to have it put in but the pain only lasts a minute and then mild cramping. No problems so far although it's only been a few days. My biggest fear is it falling out but I think that's rare. Good luck!

savvysuzie said...

I've thought about the IUD as well...hubby and I are trying for another one now, and we'll probably shoot for one more but then I'm done...but I don't like the pill and condoms seem so...high school :) Let me know how you make out!

Anonymous said...

I don't have the copper one, I have Mirena, which is different somehow. Anyway, I've had it for 4 years now. I LOVE IT!!! I don't have to think about contraception, I actually lost some weight getting off the hormones. And noe monthly visitors either! woohoo! I've tried just about every kind of b-control, depo prevera, different pills... but this by far is the best!

Mandi said...

Thanx for the great comments. It's really interesting to know that we're all in the same boat!!

Rachele Bennett said...

I also have the Mirena and love it.
I would suggest it to anyone.
Perfect for anyone who is not fully comitted to being done having kids, lol.

Anonymous said...

I'm getting mirena next week and I'm so excited. I have been on the pill forever and I always take it a few hours late or miss a day and then have to use other protection (or worry my head off). my doctor said it's just as effective as getting your tubes tied. so I guess we will see how it goes. the only issues are you have to be 100% not pregnant when you get it so you can not have sex before for at least 2 weeks, and some women bleed for 6+ weeks afterward. the cost is also an issue as my doctor told me it is $700 and some insurance doesn't cover it BUT if it lasts for 5 years and you think about it as a monthly cost its only $11 a month.

savvysuzie said...

Oh fyi I have an award for you over at my recipe blog :)

http://savvysuziefood.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

i had tubal ligation for i really did not want to get pregnant again. add to that the reason that i have health problems which endangers me when i get pregnant. somehow, it feels good not thinking about my cycle. gives me more time to think of other things...

Anonymous said...

I was "this-close" to getting the Mirena and then backed out because it looked like I'd have to pay for it out-of-pocket. So I didn't. And then, SURPRISE, I got pregnant. Again. Now, clearly I should have know how the whole pregnancy thing works by now, but for some reason truly believed that since my husband and I only got pregnant when we tried that it wouldn't just happen on it's own. I feel incredibly stupid admitting that out loud, and I know it reads as bad as it sounds in my head, but just wanted to share a tale from the other side…

Anonymous said...

Wow! It's great to see this thread still growing. It is such a hot topic and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this dilemma. With regard to Jo's Tubal Litigation - yes this does seem like the way to go! And, in fact, Loverboy's very keen to go and get the snip. But it's all so final. I keep thinking what if..... So for now I'd rather have the best of both worlds. I haven't got it yet and am waiting for my period first.

Anonymous said...

So a little while after I read this post I actually did post the pros and cons on my blog. I also ended up getting it two days ago. So far so good!